Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Day 123

Psalm 52 has me at a loss.  Since I was not able to really understand what it was talking about, I turned to my friend Google.  With the help of Google I stumbled upon this website talking about this particular Psalm.  It helped shed some light on this passage for me.

Psalm 57 I absolutely love.  The side notes in my Bible say that this is a song from David.  Reading it just filled me with the spirit that David had for his Creator.  David sings this Psalm with not a single doubt in his mind who is in charge of his life.  He shows such a great faith in God and is willing to put his entire life in God's hands.  He sings of how people are trying to overtake him and they stumble every time because they are not with God.  I particularly like the verses 7 through 11. 

"My heart is steadfast, O God, 
my heart is steadfast; 
I will sing and make music.
Awake, my soul!
Awake, harp and lyre!
I will awaken the dawn.

I will praise you, O Lord, among the nations;
I will sing of you among the peoples.
For great is your love, reaching to the heavens;
your faithfulness reaches to the skies.

Be exalted, O God, above the heavens;
let your glory be over all the earth."

To me those verses really show that David has an amazing grasp on what God is all about.  He knows that God's word needs to be spread and that should be his personal responsibility.  

Psalm 142 shows what I think is the troubled side of David.  David knows he is in trouble and is calling out to God for help.  He shows that he is at a loss but knows that God will direct him in the correct path.  His faith really reminds me of Job.  I wish my faith was like that all the time.  It is one of my biggest struggles.

Our reading in Luke continues further into Jesus being betrayed.  Peter learns that he will denounce Jesus 3 times before the rooster crows and scoffs at it.  Peter does not imagine how he could ever do that.  They are all kind of taken up in arms saying they will do whatever is necessary to not let this happen, but Jesus tells them that it has to happen this way.  Then we see Jesus do what He does so many times.  He goes off by himself to pray.  This is a very common sight that you may not have picked up on while reading.  Jesus often goes off by himself to pray, it is noted several times after all of his sermons.  It really does show a side of Jesus that we can be like.  We will never be sinless as he was but we can always pray like He did.

Tomorrow's reading is:
1Samuel 23, Psalms 54, 63 and Luke 22:47-71

1 comment:

  1. 52. I'm not really sure either I'm going to break it down to be good not bad.
    57. Aren't Psalms great. They are so motivational in inspirational.
    142. For me the lesson from this Psalm is that prayer is cathartic. Not just when we see the answers to those prayers, but in the praying.
    22. I like the image of Jesus need this time of solitude to pray too. It just shows me a much more personal side of Him. He needs to relax and have time for self reflection, knowing this makes me feel closer to Him.

    ReplyDelete