Sunday, October 3, 2010

Day 1

Today is day one which meant that we read Genesis 1 through 3 and Matthew 1.  For me this were all pretty well known chapters.  In Genesis 1 we have the creation of the Earth, sun, moon, stars, plants, animals, and man and woman.  Other then that I do not know what more I could say as I feel most people at least know the story of creation, if they believe it or not.  I for one believe in the story of creation as evolution does not make since to me, but since I do not want to start a debate over creation or evolution I am leaving it at that.

In Genesis 2 we have the creation of man and woman, known as Adam and Eve.  Adam was created in the image of God and was given the task of naming all the animals that God had created.  In these animals he was also looking for a helper, when none were found God put Adam to sleep and created woman from man.  Chapter 2 is also where we are told that Adam was given the order to not eat from the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

Genesis 3 is the chapter about the fall of man.  In chapter 3 we have the serpent deceiving Eve who shares her sin with Adam.  We also receive several first in this chapter.  Woman received pain during childbirth and man now has to work the ground for food to eat.  As a whole we were removed from the Garden of Eden and kept from ever entering it again by a cherubim and a flaming sword.  The purpose of this was to keep us from eating from the tree of life which would have given us eternal life.  I think the blocking of the tree of life is a important passage for us because it now shows that we have to look for a different source for eternal life.  What is that different source?  Well, for me and hopefully anyone reading this blog that is our Lord Jesus Christ.

Matthew 1 which is our last chapter for today is another pretty common chapter as it briefly tells the story of the birth of Jesus.  A portion of this chapter is less know.  I have read the birth story many times as a Christian but have never read the genealogy of Jesus.  I felt that it was very interesting in the way it happened, with there being three different sections with fourteen generations each.  I will be honest and say that I do not understand why it happened this way, but I am sure that as we continue to read it will be made clear to me.

Tomorrow's reading is:
Genesis 4, 5, 6, and Matthew 2

2 comments:

  1. I just started reading today. Hopefully I'll catch up quickly. I love the image of God creating creatures and bringing them to Adam to name. I picture it in my head like God (the father) presenting them to Adam (the child) like a sort of game.
    I have a really rough time with the genealogy. These have always slowed me down when reading the Bible in the past. I can't grasp their importance and have such a rough time with some of the names. I'll admit I did get a little giggle out of Jehosh'aphat.
    Thanks for setting this up Mike just the motivation I needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Starting the reading plan late but hope to catch up eventually!
    Genesis 1,2,3: Love the creation story.
    Matthew 1: Genealogy is so hard to follow. I am pretty familiar with the story of Jesus's birth but while re-reading the story something jumped out at me. God knew before Jesus was ever conceived that he would one day face the cross. Matthew 1:21 tells us that Jesus "will save his people from their sins." I myself am not a parent but I can't even imagine conceiving a child that I know will have to face the cross not for their own sins but for the sins of others! What an amazing Father that God would send His son to save all His children!

    ReplyDelete