Sunday, October 24, 2010

Day 22

Well, does it feel like it has become a habit to read your Bible everyday yet.  I know for me, if I don't get it done really early in the day it is all I can think about.  That makes me feel really good that it is on my mind like that.

In chapter 34 of Job we continue with the words of Elihu.  Finally, these are the chapters I have been waiting for.  Someone has finally stood up to Job and smacked him in the face.  Elihu is putting it all on the table and in my opinion is doing a marvelous job.  He describes God in such a way that just makes you quake in his power.  And he is right, I mean who else could possible do what Elihu describes in verses 14 and 15.  If it were his intention and he withdrew his spirit and breath, all mankind would perish together and man would return to the dust.  To me that is just an awesome description of God's power.  Job is right that he should fear God and that is why he has tried to live his live without sin.  At this particular moment in time I don't think Job so much fears God like he did, but in a sense is almost like bring it on "I can handle it". 

Elihu continues in chapter 35 and puts a new spin on sin for me.  I never really thought about sin in the way he describes it.  It has always in the past been about me, well it is not about me.  My sin hurts more then just me it hurts God and Elihu points that out here in verse 6.  Elihu is bringing up some amazing points that hopefully Job is taking to heart as well as the other three men who were talking to Job.  Even though Elihu is younger then them I hope that they are able to listen to his wisdom.  Guess that means I should not be so closed minded to those that are younger then me either.

The reading in Matthew today is of the story when Jesus walks on the water.  Just after the feeding of the five thousand Jesus sends his disciples out in the boat and He retreats into the mountain to pray.  When He is done praying He notices the boat is a considerable distance out.  He begins to walk to the boat right across the water.  Now, if I were to see this I would probably be thinking the exact same thing the disciples were thinking, ghost.  Jesus immediately cries out to them though and tells them not to be afraid.  This is were the brave Peter replies if it is truly you tell me to come out to you on the water.  And that is exactly what Jesus does.  Now I do not know that I would have been brave enough to step out of the boat onto the water but Peter does and begins walking out to Jesus.  I have to wonder what this felt like?  Do you think he swayed with the water or walked as if it was walking on dry ground?  Peter undoubtedly gets scared though and begins to sink.  He cries out to Jesus who reaches out and saves him.  I particularly like that portion.  The thought of knowing that when you cry out to Jesus he is there is very comforting to me.

Tomorrow's reading is:
Job 36, 37 and Matthew 15:1 - 20

1 comment:

  1. These daily readings have been such a blessing to me. There have been a couple of days I missed and had to make up but I love the thought of having them in my daily agenda. Thanks Again for setting this up Mike.
    34. I feel like Elihu is saying only God can judge if you are a righteous man. Job keeps saying he is righteous and upstanding and Elihu is telling him that's not for him to say.
    35. I like to think Elihu is saying here, maybe God's non-response is Job's answer. The answer you get from God may not always be the one you wanted.
    14. I'm kind of surprised the disciples were afraid. I mean by this point they have seen Jesus perform so many miracles it seems to me like they would be thinking, huh, he walks on water too, neat. I just don't think anything would surprise me by this point. Jesus could fly and I'd be like, well look at that, yet another power.

    ReplyDelete