Friday, October 15, 2010

Day 13

In Job 11 we hear Zophar speaking with Job.  I am not sure why but I like this chapter.  Zophar in my mind does an amazing job of telling us how we should live towards God.  He explains things in good and bad that are fairly simple to understand.  He does not try and make it difficult but just lays it all out on the table.

Chapters 12 and 13 read better together then trying to right about each one separately. In these chapters Job not only address Zophar but I feel like he confronts all three of them at the same time.  Job talks as if they want him to rebuke God and end the suffering.  As I read over these chapters though I see Job telling how powerful God is and that he fears God in a sense.  He knows that his suffering is from God but does not understand why it is happening.  So, Job is wanting to turn to God and have a witness with Him to find out what exactly he did wrong.  As of right now he does not know if he has sinned or if it is from the sins of his children.  Job is simply looking for answers.  I know that when I am feeling troubled I will often go to God and ask why and that is all Job is doing in these chapters.  I am really starting to get into the chapters of Job and look forward to seeing what is going to happen as all of this works out.

Matthew 9:18 - 38 starts out with a story of a woman who has a great amount of faith that she would be healed if she could only touch Jesus.  I can not begin to imagine what it would have been like to be in the crowds that would have surrounded Jesus as the words of his miracles spread through out the land.  I would think that anyone and everyone would be trying to touch Jesus as he walked from place to place.  And we see this woman that has so much faith that all she can touch is just the edge of His cloak but believes that is all she needs to be healed.  Most people would probably not even have noticed if the edge of their coat or something had even been touched, but Jesus knew, turned, and talked to this lady to comfort her even more.  We continue on to see Jesus bring a young girl back from the dead.  The news of this had to have spread through the area quicker then anything you could imagine.  Only to probably have people doubt as to its truth.  I mean if someone came to me today and said you know that kid that died the other day in a car wreck they are alive now.  Touched by some guy traveling through town and up he sprang like nothing was wrong.  WOW, what an amazing time it must have been to live in.  We end our reading with a story of people not doing as they were command which leads to harsh words spoken against Jesus.  He heals two blind gentlemen and ask them not to tell anyone which they are not able to do.  I think I would have had a hard time with that as well.  However, it leads to the casting out of a demon from a mute man.  As people began to be amazed by the powers Jesus had shown the Pharisees begin to try and cast a shadow of doubt on him.  They try and convince people that Jesus is the prince of demons and that is why he can control them.  Stories of doubt really did begin early in his ministry career.  Jesus has barely begun to teach here and already people are trying to discredit him.  To end chapter 9 we see Jesus teaching and healing and giving a very import command for us to follow.  Jesus tells us "The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few.  Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field." (Matt. 9:37, 38)

Tomorrow's reading is:
Job 14, 15, 16 and Matthew 10:1 - 20

1 comment:

  1. 11. "God exacts of you less then your guilt deserves" harsh Zophar, harsh. To me this was the quit your whining chapter.
    12. Job's "get off my back" response to his friends.
    13. Job's hope seems restored in this chapter. I'm with you, I'm really enjoying Job.
    9. As you read about the miracles Jesus performed, it seems impossible to me that there are any nonbelievers. The miracles are witnessed by so many, how could you not believe. I feel kind of bad for the blind guys, I mean it's going to be apparent that they aren't blind anymore, but they aren't suppose to tell anyone what happened? That's a tall order.

    ReplyDelete