Friday, October 8, 2010

Day 6

Genesis 16 tells us of Abram's first son.  Abram and Sarai had yet to have any offspring so Sarai gives Abram her maidservant Hagar as a wife.  Hagar conceived and was then mistreated by Sarai.  Hagar runs away from them and is then confronted by the Lord.  She is promised as well to have descendants that will be too numerous to count.  Hagar returns to Sarai and Abram and gives birth to a son, which they name Ishmael.

Genesis 17 begins with Abram being confronted by the Lord.  The Lord tells Abram that it is time for his covenant to begin.  The Lord tells Abram that he will be the father of many nations and changes his name from Abram to Abraham.  The Lord tells Abraham that as a sign of their covenant that all males in the line of Abraham will be circumcised within eight days of their birth.  Next, we see the Lord changing Sarai's name to Sarah.  He tells Abraham that Sarah will give birth to a son and he is to name Isaac.  Abraham is surprised by this because he believes it is not possible.  He then ask the Lord to bless his son Ishmael which the Lord does.  When God left Abraham gathered every male born in his household or bought with his money and had them circumcised. 

Matthew 5:27 - 48 begins by talking about adultery.  We know adultery is wrong but these verses lead more into.  We are told that even looking lustfully at someone is committing adultery and we are told that it is more important to lose one part of yourself then your whole self.  The next little bit tells us of divorce and that the only permissible form of divorce is for marital unfaithfulness.  This in it self leads us to fall into adultery.  We then read a section about oaths.  We are to keep our oaths with a simple yes or no.  We are not to swear to or by anything as our word should simply be enough.  Next is the ever so important words that it seems like everyone knows, "An eye for an eye".  So, with that one we are told that we should not resist an evil person.  If someone strikes you on the left check you are to turn and offer your right check (Matt. 5:39).  The last portion of today's reading I feel is very important.  Jesus tells us that we are to love our enemies.  I know for many this can be a extremely hard thing to do but these verses remind us that Jesus loves everyone and provides sun and rain for all.

Tomorrow's reading is:
Genesis 18, 19 and Matthew 6: 1 - 18

3 comments:

  1. 16. I'm not particularly fond of this story. As a woman, a mother, a wife I'm put off by it. I'm trying to look deep see the value in it's message, but I'm not sure I see it.
    17. Same as above, only now I also feel bad for poor Ishmael.
    5. I have this great piece of flair that says "Jesus Loves You and I'm trying" This is how I feel about the love our enemy verse. I try I pray on it, but I don't always succeed. I think it's important to remember you can love someone without liking them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading your comment I remembered someone once telling me "God said to love them, that does not mean you have to like them." I wondered about that for a long time and I guess I put it to the side and forgot about it. At times I think it is hard to love someone if you do not like them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have some family members that are challenging. I find it very easy to love them, but very hard to like them. I guess to me this means that I love them very much for all the ties I have to them, but I dislike they're actions and sometimes the people they are. I hope that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete