Monday, November 1, 2010

Day 30

Well, we have made it a full month.  I hope those following along are gaining as much as I am.  If you have yet to start do not be afraid it is a worth while adventure.

Genesis 31 begins with Jacob learning that it is time to flee from Laban.  Laban begins to grow restless toward the fact that Jacob's wealth and flocks are growing and feels that Jacob is stealing from him.  God speaks to Jacob and tells him that it is time to return to the land of his father.  He calls for his wives to meet him in the field and tells him what he was told.  Jacob and his wives with all his livestock and goods travel off to the land of his father with out telling Laban.  After three days Laban learns that they have left and travels after them.  Why it took him three days to realize they were gone still has me puzzled.  Laban overtakes Jacob and his flock and begins to search for items that were taken from his house.  Rachel stole some of the household gods that he was talking about but no one knew about.  After Laban searched for these and could not find them Jacob and Laban make some oaths to each other.  I am not sure that I completely understand the whole search for the gods thing.  I am hoping that we will learn more about it in a later chapter.

Genesis 32 continues with Jacob traveling to the land of his father.  He sends word to his brother Esau that he is coming and wishes to put behind them the troubles they have had.  Jacob's servant returns with word that Esau is coming with four hundred men.  Jacob comes up with a plan to split his belongings into two portion so that if Esau does attack a portion of what he has will survive.  It is a great thought in my mind.  He also puts a plan in motion to give his brother many gifts of livestock in hopes that it will appease his brothers hatred for him.  The last portion of this chapter I am sure has multiple meanings but I am unsure as what they all are.  The meaning that stands out to me the most is the struggle.  Jacob struggles with a man while he is alone and becomes injured when this man touches Jacob's hip.  I see this as a struggle between man and God.  In my mind it shows how the slightest touch of God can change our whole life.

I am really at a lose on what to say about Matthew 20:1 - 16.  We once again see the statement "So the last will be first, and the first will be last." (Matt. 20:16)  As of yet I have not come to a full understanding as to what this means.  I feel like I have let you down for this portion of the reading but my lack of understanding on this chapter has left my mind blank.  If any of you have any thoughts or ideas I would love to hear them.

Tomorrow's reading is:
Genesis 33, 34, 35 and Matthew 20:17 - 34

2 comments:

  1. 31. I don't understand why Rachael takes the Gods. I got very nervous while reading that section thinking that Laban was going to have to kill Rachael. I also thought it was little weird he kept referring to his grandchildren as his children. Creepy!
    32. If I were Jacob I would have been scared to meet up with Esau too. The way I understood the last part the man Jacob was wrestling was God. I found this very confusing. The man tells him he (Jacob) has prevailed over God. What does that mean? I didn't realize Jacob and God were struggling. I'm hopping this becomes clearer as we continue.
    20. I don't really know what that means either and I was a little lost on the parable. My only thought is that it's sort of the same as God loving a reformed sinner. Maybe the last to come to God shall be first in the kingdom of heaven and the first to come to God shall be last. I suppose this would be like the parable, your reward wouldn't be greater because you came to God sooner. I don't know though, that analogy has some holes in it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Corin, I like your though on Matthew 20 I did not think of it in that sense. That analogy does make sense in my mind.

    ReplyDelete