Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Day 38

I apologize for not getting a post up yesterday.  To make up for it I am doing a double posting today.

Exodus 1, its a whole new book.  We begin by learning that Joseph and all his brothers have passed away.  A new pharaoh is in place in Egypt and is not as friendly to Joseph and his family.  He puts them into slavery.  While in slavery their family continues to grow.  The pharaoh does not like this and puts out orders to basically have all males killed when they are born.  Now the maidservants that were in charge of delivering the babies feared God and could not do this.  It must have been nerve wrecking for those women as what punishment might come from the pharaoh.  He does not punish them and I just have to imagine that God is watching over them.

In chapter 2 of Exodus we learn of the birth of Moses.  We learn that he was hidden for three months with his mother but she could not hide him any longer.  She placed her son in a basket and put him in the Nile where he was found by the princess.  She had him taken care of and adopted him as her own son.  Now when Moses was older he ended up killing an Egyptian.  I have never heard about this or the fact that he had ran away.  While he was in hiding he became married and had a son.

In Exodus 3 God speaks to Moses.  He speaks to him through a burning bush.  Could you imagine what it must have been like to see that?  I have seen many things burn in my lifetime but never seen something burn and not be destroyed at the same time.  You can tell Moses is scared when God is giving him instructions.  He even confronts this by saying who am I to do this.  God reveals that he will be with him and give him guidance on what to do to bring his people out of Egypt.

Our Matthew reading is very ominous.  It almost feels as if I am reading from Revelations.  The disciples are asking Jesus how they will know when he returns.  Jesus describes it in details.  A key note that sticks out from these verses is one that we are not to be swayed by false prophets.

Tomorrow's reading is:
Exodus 4, 5 ,6 and Matthew 24:29 - 51

1 comment:

  1. 1. What a terrifying time to be pregnant. I have all kinds of irrational fears for my children, I can't imagine having to deal with this very real threat on their lives.
    2. I didn't know he killed an Egyptian either. This story is so very captivating. I can't imagine the strife of Mosses. You lead a life of privilege while your family is enslaved.
    3. I was amazed at how humble Mosses was while God was speaking to him.
    24. False prophets confound me a little. Even today you are always hearing about people who claim to be the second coming. I always wonder do these people really believe that about themselves (making them mentally ill) or are they just making it up for personal gain (making them just horrible people)?

    ReplyDelete