Monday, November 22, 2010

Day 51

Exodus 31 is a very quick read.  We learn about two craftsman that the Lord has blessed.  We also learn about consequences of working on the sabbath.  At the end of this chapter Moses is given the tablets that are to be put in the ark of covenant.

In Exodus 32 Moses comes down off the mountain to find that the Israelites have begun to worship a golden calf.  Moses becomes angry and throws the tablets that God had given him to the ground where they break.  The golden calf is melted down and then I am a little confused but it read like a huge number of the Israelites were slain.  Moses then goes back up the mountain to try and make an atonement for their sins.

Exodus 33 left me rather confused.  I am not sure what to say about it.

Mark chapter 3 continues with instructions about the sabbath.  Jesus also heals more people and a crowd begins to gather.  Jesus then goes up into the mountain and calls his apostles to him.  The twelve that he appointed were Simon (named Peter), James son of Zebedee and his brother John, Andrew, Philip, Bartholomew, Matthew, Thomas, James son of Alphaeus, Thaddaeus, Simon the Zealot and Judas Iscariot.

Tomorrow's reading is:
Exodus 34, 35 and Mark 3:20 - 35

1 comment:

  1. 31. I wish working on the sabbath wasn't often required at jobs these days. Makes me think of a Andy Griffith episode where a man can't get his car fixed b/c it's Sunday.
    32. I can't understand why Aaron would make the golden calf?
    33. Well, all I got for sure was Mosses asking to see God's face and God telling him no. The rest of it seems to me like Mosses is asking how other people will know that he and the Israelites are the chosen people if God does not come with them. I'm always a little amazed at how bold some of these people are when talking to God.
    3. I think maybe I'm beginning to have a better understanding of why Jesus didn't want to be known. I'm sure people came out in droves once they heard that this man could heal them. The crush of people wanting to be healed would be overwhelming and scary.

    ReplyDelete