Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Day 59

 Leviticus 11 tells us the foods that the Israelites were permitted to eat.  Seems to be a large list of clean and unclean animals.  Several creatures that I have never heard of and had to do a few Google searches to find out what they were.  This chapter goes on and to me almost sounds like the only way to live was to be a vegetarian.  To me it almost reads as if every form of meat is detestable.

In Leviticus 12 it does not seem like being a woman is very nice either.  Even after giving birth a woman is unclean and has to make a sacrifice to become clean again.  It really seems like there is a sacrifice for everything in the Old Testament.  I do not believe I could have lived in this time period.  If you did not own animals this must have begun to cost a decent amount of money.  I am not sure how you would have went about getting some of these animals if you did not have livestock.  Nor could I imagine what it would have been like trying to catch two birds to use instead of livestock.

OK, as for the beginning of Mark 7 I am at a loss.  I am not really sure what point he is trying to get across here other then the fact that pharisees are hypocrites.

Tomorrow's reading is:
Leviticus 13 and Mark 7:14 - 37

1 comment:

  1. 11. Apparently eating locust are okay... EWWWWWwwwww!
    12. I'm not going to lie, I'm slightly offended that b/c a woman gave birth she has to give a sin offering. Giving birth is a sin? How else are people suppose to be fruitful and multiply?
    7. I think that the point he is trying to make is that they are more worried about upholding their traditions then following God's word.

    ReplyDelete