Sunday, November 7, 2010

Day 36

Genesis 46 list a genealogical reference of all of Jacob's family that went to live in Egypt.  Joseph gives orders to his family on what they are to tell pharaoh.  He does this so that they will be able to settle in the land as Egyptians despise shepherds.

Genesis 47 begins with Joseph's family coming before pharaoh.  Pharaoh offers them the land that Joseph has shown them and ask if they may take care of his herds as well.  The next portion of 47 continues to tell how Joseph acquired all of the land of Egypt for the pharaoh.  Joseph seems to show some amazing business skills while serving the pharaoh.  At the end of this chapter we see that Jacob is dying and he makes Joseph promise that he will return his body to be buried with his fathers.

Genesis 48 we find that Jacob is close to death and wish to speak with Joseph again.  Joseph brings his two sons with him and Jacob blesses them.  Jacob switches his hands while he blesses Joseph's sons.  I am not sure what exactly this means but it appears to be a bad thing.  Jacob explains that the younger brother will be greater then his older brother.  It seems that we are reading this a lot recently.

Matthew 23:1 - 22 begins a long section of Jesus speaking.  I do not know why buy lately I have been having a hard time interpreting what Jesus is saying.  Some of the things I can see from this reading is that we need to be humble, we should not be afraid to serve, and we should be held by our oaths.

Tomorrow's reading is:
Genesis 49, 50 and Matthew 23:23 - 39

1 comment:

  1. 46. Genealogy, Boo. That was a lot of people to move though. I can barely take my family of 4 on vacation, I can't imagine trying to successful move that many people, and then there's the heard they also brought with them!
    47. I thought it seemed like Pharaoh was pleased for Joseph's family to live in Egypt. I like how appreciative Pharaoh seems to be of Joseph.
    48. I can't imagine living in a time/place where birthright was so important.
    23. A lot of this was over my head as well. I got out of it pretty much what you did.

    ReplyDelete