Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Day 101

We continue on in Joshua 16 and 17 with the allotment of more land.  This chapter works on dividing up the land for the descendants of Joseph.  I am glad to see that they did not forget the daughters when they divided up the land.  With all they are given I am still shocked that they find time to complain about the land they are given.

In Joshua 18 we see Joshua sending out a group to survey the land.  Once this is done he is going to cast lots to see which clans get the remaining parts.  He then gives out the land for the tribe of Benjamin.

There is so much going on in this first portion of Luke 11.  We start out by learning how to pray.  Jesus teaches them to pray with this "Father, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come.  Give us each day our daily bread.  Forgive us our sins, for we also forgive everyone who sins against us.  And lead us not into temptation." (Luke 11:2 - 4)  As Christians we often refer to this as the Lord's prayer.  The only difference is that we have added some lines and until recently I did not know that they were not written in the Bible as well.  I was talking to a friend who is a Catholic and somehow we got on the topic of this prayer.  I asked why they did not say all of it, only to find out that they do and we have added more to it.  Why, we added more I am not sure.  If anyone can give me some insight on that I would truly appreciate it.  The next bit of reading I absolutely love.  A few verses that really stand out for me our.  "So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.  For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened." (Luke 11:9, 10)  I also like the next portion about the father and son.  It is so true as to what He says.  The remaining portion of our reading talks about how we can not be divided from Jesus and if we are we will scatter.  That is not really something I would want to experience.  I want to be drawn to Him, embrace Him, and to live with Him eternally in His father's house.

Tomorrow's reading is:
Joshua 19, 20, 21 and Luke 11:29-54

1 comment:

  1. 16.&17. I was kind of surprised that there was land that the people couldn't completely take over. So, they end up living with some of the Canaanites.
    18. I love when Joshua calls the people slackers. Too funny.
    11. I was surprised by the Lords prayer as well. Learn something new everyday. Ask and you shall receive, what a beautifully simple concept.

    ReplyDelete