Sunday, January 9, 2011

Day 99

Joshua 10, wow, what a way to defeat several kings at one time.  Five groups come together to attack the Israelites new slaves and meet defeat at the hands of Joshua.  One of the ways this was accomplished was by the sun not going down.  That alone I think would be a scary sight.  The sun just stopping in the middle of the sky and not moving anymore.  It really goes to show the higher power that the Israelites had with them.

Joshua 11 we see the Israelites defeating the norther cities.  It also appears that just like the other cities nobody was left alive.  It saddens me that nobody was left alive.  I mean I can understand killing during battle but to totally wipe out all the women and children just seems like a bit of overkill to me.  I understand though that they were doing as the Lord had directed.  I just think it would be hard to do that portion.

Joshua 12 is simply a list of the kings that have been conquered by Joshua and the Israelites.

Luke 10 has so much in it I do not know where to begin.  I mean just the reports that come back from the seventy-two, how could you not wish to be one of them.  The thought of being able to cast out demons and people in groves coming to the Lord.  Wow. 

Tomorrow's reading is:
Joshua 13, 14, 15 and Luke 10:25-42

1 comment:

  1. 10. I agree, if your a soldier for the other side and you see the people you are fighting against stop the sun, just give up.
    11. We are not from a generation of total warfare. It's hard to read about the killing of the women and children. I try and remind myself that had the other side won the Isrealites fate would have been the same.
    12. I am really really enjoying our reading of the Bible. I'm learning a ton and can't even express how this experience has enriched my life. Having said that, can I just tell you how much I hate recap chapters like this.
    10. I was surprised by this. I don't remember reading about the 70 in previous books. What an incredible honor to have been chosen by Jesus personally to do God's work. I also really like the harvest analogy as he sent them out.

    ReplyDelete