Friday, January 7, 2011

Day 97

Joshua 4 is an entire chapter on crossing the Jordan.  The priest stood in the middle of the Jordan with the arc while all of the Israelites crossed on dry ground.  Twelve stones were removed from the middle of the Jordan to build a memorial where the Israelites camped for the night.

The first portion of chapter 5 is about the Israelite men being circumcised again.  All of the original men that had been circumcised had passed away in the desert.  I am not really sure why we have to have so much to read on the circumcision.  I mean a few lines saying that they were circumcised would be enough for me.  The last portion of this chapter I kind of like.  Joshua heads out to meat a soldier to only find out that it is a soldier of God.  How excited he must have felt.  To see a physical soldier of God standing in front of me I think I would have done the exact same thing Joshua did.

Joshua 6 is all about the fall of Jericho.  This story intrigues me somewhat.  I mean it is such an odd military strategy that you would just have to say that it came from the Lord.  I mean could you imagine walking around a country these days and then blowing a trumpet to conquer it.  When I think about it I see tanks, planes, and loads of soldiers doing strategic maneuvers to invade and conquer.

Our reading in Luke 9 starts out with Jesus questioning his disciples on who He is.  They tell Him who the crowds think He is and then reply with who they believe He is.  We have some great verses in this short little section of reading.  "For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it.  What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit his very self?" (Luke 9:24, 25)  The last portion of our reading for today is a story we have read before.  We read again about Jesus' time on the mountain where He talks to Moses and Elijah. 

Tomorrow's reading is:
Joshua 7, 8, 9 and Luke 9:37-62

1 comment:

  1. 4. I think it's interesting how much they talk about teaching about God to the Israelite children. You would think with as much sacrificing and worshiping they do the children would pick it up naturally.
    5. I has assumed up until now that they were circumcising all the boys as they were born. I think it's a little strange that they decided instead to wait and have a mass circumcision.
    6. I love the battle scenes in the Bible they read like a movie script.
    9. I don't remember from reading this before God telling Peter that Jesus was his son. What an overwhelming moment that must have been. I mean, Peter already thinks this, but to have in confirmed by the voice of God. I would have been speechless for a week.

    ReplyDelete