Saturday, January 22, 2011

Day 112

Ruth 1 begins to tell the story of Ruth.  We meet Naomi and her husband.  They also had two sons who married Moabite woman, one named Orpah and the other named Ruth.  All the men of this family has died very quickly in this chapter and the woman are left to fend for themselves.  Naomi decides it will be better for her to move back to her people to live.  She attempts to send the girls back to their people.  Orpah returns but Ruth vows not to leave her mother-in-law.

In Ruth chapter 2 Ruth goes out into the fields to find a place to work to gather food for her and Naomi.  She ends up working in Boaz's field.  Boaz is a relative of Naomi and treats Ruth with great respect and puts protection on her.  She gathers a very nice harvest for Naomi and herself.  Naomi tells Ruth that she should continue to work in Boaz's fields as he will protect her.

Ruth 3 leaves me a little confused.  I am not sure exactly what Naomi is trying to do to Ruth.  I think she is trying to find Ruth a new husband.  I am not sure why she has her lie with Boaz and I am not sure exactly what Boaz told her.

In Ruth 4 Ruth gains a new husband.  Boaz attempts to find a husband for her but it does not work out so he himself takes her as his wife.  Ruth gives birth to a son and they name him Obed.  Through Ruth we actually get to the line of David.

The first part of Luke 17 talks about sin, faith, and duty.  Jesus tells us that it will be worse for the person that cause someone to sin then the one who sinned.  At least that is what I think it is saying.  It also tells us that we are to forgive.  The next little portion of our reading in Luke tells of ten men that were healed from Leprosy.  All ten were told to go see the priest and while on their way they were healed.  Only one of them came back to thank Jesus.  I have to wonder what is going through the minds of the other nine people that were healed and did not come back to thank Jesus for doing it.

Did you catch that?  We read a whole book in one day.  I bet you never thought you would read a book of the Bible in one day.

Tomorrow's reading is:
1Samuel 1, 2, 3 and Luke 17:20-37

1 comment:

  1. 1. I'm curious what exactly happened to all the men.
    2. So nice to see a moral women in one of these Bible stories.
    3. I didn't get the impression they "laid" with each other if you get my drift. I was still thinking that Ruth and Boaz are nice upstanding characters. Finally a good wholesome little story.
    4. I got the impression that Boaz was going through the proper procedures but he was hoping that Ruth would end his wife. He's awfully quick to say, well, I'll take her if you don't want her.
    17. I think that the other 9 are focused on going to tell the priest as they are told. I think this is telling us that even if we are doing as we are told it's important to take time out to Thank God for what He has done for us.

    ReplyDelete