Sunday, January 23, 2011

Day 113

In 1st Samuel chapter 1 we are greeted by Elkanah and his two wives.  One of his wives was unable to have children and the other constantly rubbed that in her face.  I do not see how a woman could be that mean to another woman who longed badly to have a child.  I mean do you not think that she was in enough pain already by herself.  Hannah prays to the Lord and pours it all out to Him.  She is pleading with Him to giver her a son and if He does that son would be dedicated to Him.  Once she became pregnant I can only imagine the glory she felt.  She would have loved him very much but had made a promise that he would serve God all of his life.  So, she took him to the temple where he was to stay.  I could only begin to imagine what that must have felt like walking away from the temple while your only child stays there.

In chapter 2 it starts out with a song from Hannah.  The song is actually very nice.  The next part of the chapter however is not so nice.  We learn that the son's of Eli are not really men of God as they should be.  The way I read it, it sounds as if they steal from the people as they are trying to give their offerings to the Lord.  Not only that but they are sleeping with various woman.  The remaining portion of this chapter is God speaking to Eli about what will happen to his family line for the sins they have committed.  Once again the wrath of God is coming down.  When will the Israelites learn that they can not hide what they do from the eyes of God?

Chapter 3 is a story I have heard several times and it makes me wonder a few things.  First, we see God calling to Samuel.  Samuel is confused and runs to his master to help him because he called.  This happens three times before Eli realizes what is going on.  It makes me wonder how many times have we heard God calling to us and we have ran to some other master and not Him?  Then Samuel finally answers God with what Eli has told him.  I love the way Samuel replies to God calling him as well.  "Speak, for your servant is listening." (1 Samuel 3:10)  It really makes me wonder how much better I life might be if we replied the way Samuel did?

Chapter 4 starts off with a pretty horrific battle.  From my counts Israel lost 34,000 soldiers during that battle.  The also lost the ark of the covenant during that battle.  You have to wonder what the rest of Israel must have thought on learning that the ark of the covenant was lost in a battle?  Eli's sons were lost in this battle as well.  Not only did Eli's sons die if you keep reading you find out that Eli himself dies.  This really is not a good day for the Israelites.

The final reading of Luke 17 tells of the coming of the Kingdom of God.  He describes it with so much detail but with very little detail.  Is that possible?  I mean it makes sense but it doesn't all at the same time.  I guess that is the purpose though so we do not know when the final day is coming.  Toward the end when He is talking about how one will be taken and the other will not, I could not help but think about the Left Behind series.  As for the very end of this chapter I am confused.  I do not understand the whole vultures thing that was brought up.  Once again there is a verse missing, at least in my text.  Verse 36 is skipped over.  This seems to happen a lot where there is a verse or verses missing and I do not understand why that is so.


Tomorrow's reading is:
1Samuel 4, 5, 6 and Luke 18:1-23

1 comment:

  1. 1. I still think that despite leaving him at the temple Hannah feels very blessed to have had a child. Her gratitude is so amazing to see.
    2. I loved Hannah's prayer.
    3. I thought this was really interesting it gives us a little glimpse of what it is like to have the Lord speak to you. And, I think, warns us to listen carefully.
    4. I was a shocked that they took the arc of the covenant to the battle front.
    17. Makes me very sad to think of those who will be left.

    ReplyDelete