Thursday, January 13, 2011

Day 103

In Joshua 22 we see that the Israelites are quick to anger.  The group that lives across the Jordan has built an altar and the rest of the Israelites do not like this fact.  They feel that the other side has done this in a disregard for the Lord.  They send over some priest and a spokesperson from each tribe to confront them.  After this confrontation everything is cleared and all is well once again in the promised land.

Joshua 23 is a little scary.  We learn that Joshua is about to die, so he gathers all of Israel to speak to them.  He warns them that they need to continue to follow the laws of Moses or else God will turn on them and not rest till they are all wiped from this Earth.

Joshua 24 finishes out the book of Joshua.  We have a quick recap of all that has happened and another promise that the Israelites will stay true to God.  I am worried they are not very good at following through with what they say.  We then see Joshua passing away after living to be a hundred and ten years old. 

The first part of Luke 12 starts out by giving the disciples a list of warnings.  We still need to remember these warnings as they still apply today.  The next parable is one that I have a hard time with.  I know I need to live more like this, but it is hard to do.  We are told that we should not store up here on Earth but should live today as it is our last.  The last portion of today's reading is a story that goes hand and hand with the parable we just read.  We should know that God will take care of us just as He does the creatures and plants on Earth.  Yet, we worry and we are not suppose to.  I have a hard time with this as well.  I worry about so much because I want to be able to provide for my family and friends.  I need to learn to let it all go and put it all in the hands of God.

Way to go readers!  We have one more book done.  Does it seem like this is getting easier for anyone yet?

Tomorrow's reading is:
Judges 1, 2, 3 and Luke 12:32-59

1 comment:

  1. 22. I thought it was a little strange that they immediately thought the alter was somehow against the Lord.
    23. 8 "but cleave to the LORD your God as you have done to this day" I have to admit when I read this I was thinking, Yeah, right. They turn from God every chance they get.
    24. You get the feeling Joshua doesn't have much faith in the Isrealites either. He keeps going over and over the instructions, as if he know that as soon as he's dead they'll mess it up.
    12. I'm a worrier too, so I find this chapter a comfort and a concern. Comforted that God cares so much for me and concerned that I am not able to live as he would like me too. It's hard to decide if I'm planning to much for the future and not living in the moment enough too. Funny how I can turn a parable about turning your worries over to God and use it as something new to worry about.

    ReplyDelete