Monday, January 24, 2011

Day 114

OK, looks like I made a little oops yesterday and did an extra chapter on that post.  1st Samuel chapter 4 is in the previous post, so I will be skipping to chapter 5.

Chapter 5 has a lot going on in it for the ark.  It seems like since it has left the Israelites it has done nothing but cause trouble for those who have had it.  I could not begin to imagine what it must have been like to go in and see the statue of your god bowing to the ark.

Chapter 6 tells of the ark actually making its trip back to the Israelites.  It is put on a brand new cart with two bulls pulling it.  Sent along with it are gold representing the kings and the tumors as a guilt offering.  Sadly, Israelite men open the ark and look into it.  Seventy Israelite men die because of that action.

Luke 18 starts out with a parable that I do not fully understand.  Is Jesus wanting us to continually ask until it becomes annoying?  The next parable tells us that we should not flaunt what we have.  We should be humble and in being humble one day we will be exalted.  The next little bit is something we have read several times.  It gets me thinking every time though.  I have to stop and think have I accepted the kingdom like a little child.  I often wonder then what exactly it means to except like a child.  The last part of our reading for today is another story we have read before.  It is the story of the rich man wanting to enter into the kingdom of Heaven.  Jesus tells him what he needs to do and he can not do it.  How often do we hear what God is telling us to do and then determine that we can not do it.  We are told that God will not give us anymore then we can handle, so guess that means do everything He tells us.

Tomorrow's reading is:
1Samuel 7, 8, 9 and Luke 18:24-43

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes it's hard to stop reading the stories really draw you in.
    5. I think it's a little funny, these people thought they were so great stealing the ark now they just want rid of it because of all the trouble it's causing. You would have thought that this would be a big wake up call about the power of God, but apparently not.
    6. They make an offering to God when they return it. I just love that, watching God humble non believers.
    18. I'm not sure about that first parable either. Maybe the unrighteous judge was the means for vindicating the widow or I could totally be stretching. I guess the lesson is persistence pays off.

    ReplyDelete