Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Day 94

Deuteronomy 30 is a great chapter.  I love the fact that it tells us that as long as we obey we will be blessed.  Even if we are not obeying and have been cursed when we find God again and except him into our heart and obey him his blessings will return.

Deuteronomy 31 begins with Moses telling Israel that he will not be going with them into the promised land.  Joshua will be leading them over the Jordan and into their new home land.  Then all the laws are written down and handed out with instructions to have them read aloud every seven years.  The end of this chapter is a bit of a shocker.  God tells Moses that the Israelites will not last long before they turned to other gods.  This is one of the points I have never fully understood.  God gives us free will yet He knows what we will do before we do it.  If He already knows then how is that free will?

Luke 8 gave me a little extra thoughts.  We see mentioned that besides Jesus and the twelve apostles a group of females also traveled with them.  As for the first parable in chapter 8 it is one of my favorites.  We have so much in it that we should take to heart.  Verses 19 through 21 I really do not like.  I thought we were to honor our mother and father and here I see Jesus not even caring that his mother is outside trying to see him.  We do see mention that Jesus has other siblings as well.  I have often wondered how many brothers and sisters Jesus has?  The final portion of our reading shows that Jesus not only has control over demons and can forgive sins but He has the ability to control even the weather.  It shows us that there is nothing that Jesus can not take care of.

Tomorrow's reading is:
Deuteronomy 32, 33, 34 and Luke 8:26 - 56

2 comments:

  1. 30. I like the idea that the Lord will delight in prospering the faithful.
    31. I love, love, love the phrase: "Be strong and of good courage."
    8. I'm confused by the mother and brothers part. When we've read about this before I did not get the impression that it was his actual mother and brothers, more of a figurative saying, but here it sounds like it is his actual mother and brothers? And if so, then aren't they faithful, don't they believe?
    In my head I picture the group of women with them like groupies for a band. Kind of funny to think of them as Jesus groupies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree on your first point. It is refreshing to know isn't it. I was confused by that exact same point about Jesus' Mother and Brothers. Sometimes I just wish He was here to explain to me what exactly is going on.

    ReplyDelete