Monday, January 31, 2011

Day 121

1 Samuel 20 is a pretty long narrative.  I really think it could have been a little bit shorter and covered the same information.  I am once again confused though.  I thought Saul had agreed to not kill David and here we have him right back at it.  These Israelites really are a stubborn people.  Jonathan and David though have an amazing friendship.  Jonathan has looked out for David to the best of his ability and is trying to send him off safely.

Chapter 21 of 1 Samuel shows David is on the run.  He is looking for supplies as he goes.  He is able to acquire some bread and the sword of Goliath.  I am not sure that I understand the whole bread thing that they talked about.  I thought it was set aside for the priest but David takes it anyway.  I have to wonder if something is going to happen to David for taking it.  Goliath's sword must have been relatively large for David to carry around as well.  If Goliath stood over nine foot tall you would think his sword would be larger then the average man's sword.

Psalm 34 bounces back and forth a lot in my mind.  There are a few things that pop out at me that we have read before.  One of them being that we should seek the Lord.  Another is that we should not partake in evil things and that the Lord will protect us.

The last part of Luke 21 continues with the coming of the end times.  Reading this chapter has really put me in the mood to read Revelations.  Jesus continues to tell his disciples of the events that will take place during the end times and I still begin to wonder if some of those are happening at this very moment.  I know somewhere it says that time is different in Heaven compared to Earth and I have to wonder if those times are not starting already.  It may take 100 years here on Earth which could only be a day in Heaven.  Really makes me wonder.  I like the end of this chapter where Jesus tells his disciples that they should be ready.  That they need to live there life at the ready, because they do not know when it will happen.  It really makes me realize that I should be living my life that way as well.  It needs to be geared to doing Gods work 100% of the time and not worrying about what will happen tomorrow so long as I am prepared to meet my maker today.

Tomorrow's reading is:
1 Samuel 22, Psalms 56 and Luke 22:1 - 23

1 comment:

  1. 20. I like the David/Jonathan stories they are full of hi jinx, they're sort of like I Love Lucy episodes with much higher stakes.
    21. I think David is able to convince the priest that he and his men are pure and holy.
    34. I don't really see what the Psalm had to do with him faking madness.
    21. I think that's a lesson we all need to hear.

    ReplyDelete