Friday, January 14, 2011

Day 104

We start into Judges today.  Judges chapter 1 happens after Joshua has died and the Israelites who are still in God's favor learn that it is time for them to conquer more land.  They go into several areas and conquer them but leaving some alone and putting them into forced labor.  We then read about Caleb giving his daughter away, I am pretty sure we just read something about that in Joshua.  I may be confused but it sounds identical to what we read towards the end of Joshua about the battles towards the end.  Now, one thing has me concerned.  They are keeping a lot of Canaanites alive and putting them into forced labor.  I thought though that God told them to kill them all.  To me it seems like they are quickly setting themselves up to fall with all of these Canaanites still running around.  I can quickly see the likes of rituals being shared and marriages happening.

Well, it looks like I was right about something.  In Judges chapter 2 it seems that the Israelites have fallen into the sinful ways of those already in the land.  It begins to show as well when they go into battle.  The Lord is no longer with them and they are not in his favor anymore.  He attempts several time with the raising of Judges but they continue to return to the sinful ways of those already in the land.  Each time they go further and further in the wrong direction.  Just imagine what Moses and Joshua must be thinking as they sit up there and watch their people lose their life's work.

Judges 3 is a pretty gruesome chapter.  We have the rise and fall of Israel three different times.  The second story goes into a lot of detail, which was kind of fun to read.  There really is not a whole lot to say about this chapter.

The remaining portion of Luke 12 starts out with a blow.  It tells us that we should be waiting and serving.  We do not know when the master will return so we must be on the watch.  We should not deviate while we are on watch or we may do something wrong when the master returns.  The next little bit leaves me a little puzzled.  Jesus says he has come to bring division, but I thought He was here to attempt to bring everyone to Him.  The last portion of this chapter has me completely stumped.  I really have no idea where He is going with these comments.  Sometimes, I think these things made more sense in their original text then the translations do.

Tomorrow's reading is:
Judges 4, 5, 6 and Luke 13:1-22

1 comment:

  1. 1. Maybe it's a different daughter, this maybe Caleb's great strategies for winning battles and marrying off his daughters. The disturbing thing is that it was her Uncle that takes her as a wife. Ewwww...
    2. It didn't take them long to falter, did it?
    3. I feel like this chapter reads like a scene from "Braveheart". I'm shocked this hasn't ended up as a movie. It probably has and I just haven't heard of it.
    12. 48. "Every one to whom much is given, of him will much be required". This makes me think much will be required of me, as I am very blessed. It kind of scares me to think about.
    I think the part about division shows us how insightful Jesus is. He knows that not everyone will believe. He knows that religion will cause wars and lots blood shed.
    I think the last part is being careful who you follow and Christians persecuting other Christians. That's really just a guess though.

    ReplyDelete