Sunday, December 5, 2010

Day 64

Leviticus 19 is God giving Moses a lot of instructions to give the Israelites.  Some of them are very familiar as they are part of the ten commandments.  One of the verses stands out to me a lot because it is so often used in debates as whether Christians should get tattoos or not.  Considering I would kind of like a tattoo this is not one of my favorite verses.  There are many other laws that we should take note from this chapter that are still very relevant in today's society.

Leviticus 20 is a dangerous chapter for any of us who do not follow the Lords commands.  So often we read in this chapter that for sins we commit we will be put to death.  I am thankful that I live in a time period after Jesus gave his life for my sins.  I know I am not perfect by any means and maybe that punishment would have been a good motivator for me to live a holier life.  Maybe as Christians today we should think that we could be put to death for not living the life he commanded us to.  I am thankful though that we are given a chance to ask and receive forgiveness.

Mark 9 finishes out by Jesus telling the disciples that He is going to die and rise again.  This confuses the disciples and I can see why partially.  It makes me wonder if they have not seen enough miracles to know that if He can raise other people from the dead could he not raise himself.  We then read how we are to welcome in the little children because it is like welcoming Him.  This little section also makes it know to us that we are to be servants.  We then learn that the disciples had stopped a man from doing miracles cause he was not one of the disciples.  Jesus tells them that they should never hinder a person who is doing His work.  To finish up the chapter we are told that we should do nothing to cause a child to sin.  If we do the punishment will be severe.  

Tomorrow's reading is:
Leviticus 21, 22 and Mark 10:1 - 31

2 comments:

  1. 19. I'm very confused about what parts of the Old Testament we are to adhere to and what parts we are suppose to ignore as a modern society. Apparently we have decided to collectively ignore the sacrifices, but have decided to adhere to the no tattoos and other parts. Sad to say, I think I'm going to have to do more reading and studying in Leviticus.
    20. Who is Molech and why are people giving their children to him?
    9. My bible is missing verses 44-47. I googled them and don't really understand why they are omitted in some Bibles. I'd appreciate any insight on that you may have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering who Molech was as well and have not had time to look up anything about him. As for verses 44 - 47 I will have to look and see if my Bible has them or not. To be honest I did not notice if they were missing or not. One website I came across that talked about the whole tattoo debate is

    http://www.biblebelievers.com/watkins_tattoos/bible.html

    ReplyDelete