Thursday, December 23, 2010

Day 82

Numbers 34 tells us what the boundaries of the promised land are.  I found this to help me a little.  Map

Numbers 35 gives us a short section on how the Levites were to be given land.  We also learn of cities of refugee.  These sound intriguing to me.  I wonder how the people that fled to these cities were protected till they could be judged?  What was to stop a person from seeking revenge in one of these cities?  Now punishment for killing someone was serious.  Death, there was no escaping it if you killed someone intentionally.  I found one other thing interesting in this chapter.  They used witnesses to verify the death and there had to be more then one witness to give testimony.

Numbers 36 sort of freaks me out.  To me it sounds like incest is suppose to happen for these young ladies that inherited land.  I just do not understand how that is right.

The last portion of Luke 1 gives us the birth of John the baptist.  How amazing it must have been for the father Zachariah to write the name John on a piece of paper when they asked and his voice immediately be given back to him.  I have to wonder what that felt like?  Did he feel the Holy Spirit come on him and know that he could speak again or was he trying to talk when he wrote the name?

One more book completed.  Numbers is officially over.  It was another one of those books that I am kind of glad to see done.  I sort of felt like I could not read another chapter about this offering or that offering. 

Tomorrow's reading is:
Deuteronomy 1, 2 and Luke 2:1 - 24

1 comment:

  1. 34. Thanks for the map. The whole chapter would have meant nothing to me without it.
    35. My bible calls them cities of refuge for the manslayer. It's a very intriguing concept. I'm curious how that worked for their society.
    36. Yes, I think that is exactly what they are saying. These woman can pick whomever they want to marry, as long as they are already related to them. Wow the freedom.
    1. I bet his wife and everyone else was shocked when Zachariah started to speak again.

    ReplyDelete