Friday, December 24, 2010

Day 83

I am doing a little back dating, and catching everything up.  This post would have been on Christmas eve.

Deuteronomy 1 and 2 seems to be like a complete overview of what has happened to the Israelites since they left Egypt.

OK, when I found out what we were going to be reading on Christmas eve I began to freak out just a little.  I mean I could not have planned it this way.  Who would have thought that we would be reading about the birth of Christ on Christmas eve.  It really made me think that God had more hands on me during my motorcycle accident then I originally imagined.  Anyway, Luke 2 gives us the Birth of Jesus.  We begin with the journey of Mary and Joseph from Nazareth to the town of Bethlehem.  They are making this journey because a census is taking place and Bethlehem is the town Joseph is from.  When they arrive in Bethlehem they are unable to find a place to rest.  I do not believe I could begin to imagine what that must have felt like for this young pregnant lady.  They are given some shelter in a stable, which from what I have been able to learn was actually probably closer to a cave.  After Jesus was born an angel appeared to shepherds tending to their flocks of sheep in a nearby field.  This angel gives these shepherds some great news and then a host of angels appears and praises the Lord.  Now, if I was one of those shepherds I would have probably been scared out of pants when that angel appeared, but man the news that it brings, how amazing.  The last little portion we read for today really made me flash back to Leviticus because of the offering that was given for Jesus on the eighth day.  Wow, what an amazing read for Christmas eve.

Tomorrow's reading is:
Deuteronomy 3, 4 and Luke 2:25 - 52

1 comment:

  1. 1. I feel like since Mosses isn't going into the promise land with them he wants to recap what they've learned before sending them on their way.
    2. I had the thought of them destroying the women and children.
    2. It was an amazing Christmas Eve read. I don't think that you could get any clearer proof that God has destined our little Bible reading journey.

    ReplyDelete