Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Day 74

Numbers 12 in my opinion shows a small form of jealousy.  Miriam and Aaron have some concern for Moses because of his wife.  The Lord comes down and speaks to them about Moses.  Miriam comes away from this meeting with Leprosy. 

Numbers 13 has Moses sending 12 people into the land of Canaan to explore it.  Reading this chapter made me think of the song I used to sing at children's church.  "Ten were bad and two were good."  Twelve spies are sent in to recover data about this land that they have been promised.  When they return ten of them lie to the crowd and say there is no way they can win if they go in.  Only two of them stand up and say that they will be able to overtake it because they have the hand of God with them.

Numbers 14 tells of Gods punishment on those that doubted him yet again.  I just can not believe the Israelites, they have seen miracles performed before them how many times now.  Over and over God delivers them from one thing or the other.  Only a few are told that they will be able to enter into the promised land.

Mark 14 tells the story of Jesus being arrested.  We have read this story before, with one difference that I noticed.  I am not sure what verses 51 and 52 are all about.

Tomorrow's reading is:
Numbers 15, 16 and Mark 14:54 - 72

2 comments:

  1. 12. Who is Miriam? I think it's unfair that Miriam was punished and Aaron wasn't, but that's the way it goes I guess.
    13. I need to reread this chapter, I didn't catch the 10 of the lying at all.
    14. I think it's funny that they got together a murmured about God "behind his back". Did they really think God wasn't going to hear that. I'm beginning to think the Isrealites are a little slow.
    14. I think we see in this reading the Jesus really is nervous about what is about to transpire. We also get the great quote, "the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak." from Mark 14:38

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would not blame Him for being nervous one bit. He knew exactly what was going to happen and His human form would show that. Many times we see His human emotions, He just had better control with knowing God's ultimate plan. He knew the purpose His earthly body was created for.

    ReplyDelete