Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Day 67

In Leviticus 25 we begin to read a little bit about instructions for when they reach the promise land.  We learn that when they reach the promised land they are to plant and sow just as they normally would but only for six years.  On the seventh year they are to let the land rest and are allowed to eat what it produces naturally.  The next portion is on how to sell land and what is to happen to it and how you may get it back.  It also talks about slaves.  Now do not take this the wrong way as I am not in favor of slavery but I can begin to understand the south's point of view and where they could see slavery as a biblical concept.

Mark 11 begins with the triumphal entry into Jerusalem.  To be honest I do not really understand this little bit of reading besides the fact that it shows the people worshiping Jesus.  Now, this next section about the tree just confuses me.  I am not sure what we are to learn from it.  Is it about showing his power over all things?

Tomorrow's reading is:
Leviticus 26, 27 and Mark 11:19 - 33

1 comment:

  1. 25. I find the concept of jubilee very interesting. I don't really see how you would ever keep anything you purchased. It seems like land, slaves, houses could all go back to the previous owner if that person came back to claim them in the year of jubilee. Kind of confusing if you ask me.
    11. I don't get the fig tree thing either. Poor little fig tree. I suppose it's about it not bearing fruit when Jesus wanted it to. Maybe it's a warning to people to be fruitful for Jesus or else He will let you wither away. (I'm not sure that may be a stretch.) However, I just end up feeling a little sorry for the fig tree which as far as I can see did nothing but follow it's natural seasons. It seems like if Jesus had wanted to He could have just made the fig tree grow figs.

    ReplyDelete